Microneedling at Franklin Dermatology Group
Microneedling is a minimally invasive method of inducing a controlled injury to the skin in order to promote new collagen and elastin production. Microneedling minimizes fine lines and wrinkles, and improves the appearance of acne and surgical scars, stretch marks, and pigmentation. Prior to treatment, a topical numbing agent is applied to the treatment area. We then use the FDA approved Skin Pen microneedling device which uses 12 or 36 tiny gauge needles to induce a micro injury into the skin’s dermal and epidermal junction.
What areas can be treated with microneedling?
The SkinPen Microneedling device can be used to treat the following:
- Stretch Marks
Who can be treated with microneedling and how many microneedling treatments will be needed?
All skin types can be safely treated and most areas of the body are suitable for treatment unless your medical provider determines otherwise. A series of 3-6 treatments spaced 4-6 weeks apart is recommended, but you may require more depending on your area of correction. Treatments are normally completed within 30-60 minutes.
Who can NOT be treated with microneedling?
Patients with one or more of the following conditions may NOT be treated:
- Pregnant or nursing
- Isotretinoin therapy in the 12 months prior to
- Use of any blood thinning agents (requires exam)
- Active herpes simplex virus (i.e. cold sore, genital
- Active herpes zoster (shingles)
- Autoimmune connective tissue diseases (lupus,
- Sjogren’s, scleroderma)
- Immune suppression
- Active acne in treatment area
- Keloid scars (requires exam)
- Active bacterial or fungal infection of the treatment area
- Open wounds in treatment area
- Raised moles or warts in targeted area
What are the side effects of microneedling?
After the procedure the skin will be red similar to a sunburn. The patient will likely experience skin tightness, swelling, mild to moderate peeling and flaking, and sensitivity for the next 48 hours to 3 days. If the patient follows the post care procedures correctly, the skin should be completely healed within a week.
- Discontinue topical retinoids or products containing chemical exfoliants 3-7 days before and after microneedling treatments
- No exfoliating peels or microdermabrasion 2 weeks before or after microneedling treatments
Ready to see if microneedling is for you? For fastest service, call us at (615) 771-1881. You may also fill out the short form on the right sidebar of this page. Please be sure to let us know how and when you prefer for us to get back in touch with you. We hope to speak with you soon!
Make an Appointment or Get in Touch
Complete the form below and we’ll be in touch to schedule an appointment or answer your questions. New patients always welcome.